A late-Victorian distillery, Glenglassaugh was built in 1874, just outside the coastal town of Portsoy on the Banffshire coast in the Highlands. Founded by Local businessman James Moir and his two nephews, Alexander and William Morrison, 18 years later became part of Highland Distillers. The site was originally chosen due to its proximity to a clean and pure water supply (Glassaugh Springs), easy access to the nearby barley fields and because it was known locally to have been the site of one of the many illicit distilleries that had operated in the area and which had produced excellent whisky. Brought back from the dead in 2008, Glenglassaugh is a storied distillery that had been dormant since 1986. Last year the newly-running distillery changed hands and was fell to BenRiach, which is now bottling a number of expressions consisting of both new make spirit and old stock.