top of page

Glendronach Distillery



One of a trio of distilleries in the Garioch, Glendronach was

founded in 1826 by a partnership of local farmers headed

by James Allardice. Under his charismatic lead, it built a

strong reputation, but tragedy struck in 1837 when a fire

virtually destroyed the distillery. The bad news continued

when Allardice went bankrupt in 1842. Walter Scott came

forward in 1852, and rebuilt the distillery into its current

condition. It was owned by the BenRiach Distillery

Company Ltd. The name Glendronach derives from the

Scottish Gaelic Gleann Dronach which means "valley of

the brambles" or "valley of the blackberries". In 1996 the

distillery was mothballed and reopened again in 2002 by

Allied Distillers Limited. In 2006 the distillery passed into

the hands of Chivas Brothers Ltd and in 2008 it was sold

to the BenRiach Distillery Company. The distillery draws

its water from the Dronac burn within the distillery

grounds. It has its own floor maltings and two wash stills

in addition to two spirit stills.

Distillery Gallery

bottom of page