Craigellachie is one of the largest distillery in Scotland. Production volume in 2015 was about 4.1 million liters. The water for whisky production at Craigellachie is taken from a spring called Blue Hill in the Little Conval Hills. It is impounded by a 12-meter dam to ensure a regular supply.
The Craigellachie distillery was built in 1891 by Craigellachie Distillery Co. Limited, a group of blenders and merchants led by Alexander Edward. Two years later, it was incorporated as a limited company and in 1896 it was reconstructed as Craigellachie-Glenlivet Distillery Ltd.
During the years that followed, ownership passed to Peter Mackie (in 1916), the Distillery Company Limited (in 1927) and SMD (in 1930). The transfer to SMD marked the beginning of a period of stability for Craigellachie; apart from a reconstruction in 1964-65 during which the number of pot stills was doubled, relatively little happened at the distillery. In 1998, it was sold to John Dewar & Sons.
Their single malt whisky isn’t yet very well-known, for a very long time, the whisky had been used in blends like The White Horse. But because of the high quality of their whisky, some independent bottlers have Craigellachie in their collections, but a 14-year-old Craigellachie released in 2004 was the only original single malt released until 2014. Since then, the distillery would have a 13, 17 and a 23 year old Single Malt Whisky available.